SPOILER ALERT!

Failing Kingdoms

Falling Kingdoms - Morgan Rhodes, Michelle Rowen

This book... I don't even know where to start with this.

First off, I hate giving negative reviews to books that were recommended to me by a friend. I tend to feel like a bit of a jerk when I finally get around to reading a recommended book, only to hate it. Then when your friend asks you how you liked the book a week later, you just kind of smile and nod and say, "It was good."

But, damn it, it wasn't good. I wasn't expecting anything spectacular from this book. It was meant to be a quick read, a little filler before starting The Wheel of Time series. Honestly, after reading this book, WoT is probably going to feel like the best...book....ever!

THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE BOOK - READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

So, the plot of this book was laughable. In a poor kingdom known only for selling wine, a wine merchants son is murdered by a nobleman from a neighboring prosperous kingdom. Brother of dead son, having witnessed the murder, vows to get revenge. Not only does he want revenge on the man that murdered his brother, but he also has some seriously unhealthy obsession with the princess that witnessed the whole thing. I mean, seriously, the dude day dreams about doing really awful things to her instead of focusing on the guy that actually did the killing. Creeepppyyy...

This murder causes quite an uproar throughout the surrounding lands and over such a simple matter, two of the kingdoms join forces to take down the prosperous kingdom so they can divide the land and live happily ever after.

In the meantime we've got a guy that thinks his sister is the hottest thing to ever exist in the world but he can't declare his love for her because it would be wrong.But, come to find out, they aren't actually related so he tries to make a move on his sister all the while uttering that it's all cool, 'cause they aren't related anymore. I laughed. We also have a guard that instantly falls in love with a princess because he's around her for a day and thinks she's oh-so-beautiful, a princess that falls in love with a guard because she thinks he's hot, another beautiful princess that gets magical powers and after a week is able to do all sorts of fun spell casting like the Mary Sue that she is, and a red robed witch that is basically an unimpressive knock off of Melisandre from Game of Thrones.

This whole book was just a disaster. Honestly, when characters started dying, I really didn't care. I still don't care. I could care less about what happens to the world or whether or not any of the characters survive at all. If they all got struck down by a meteor in the next book, I still wouldn't care. And I'll never know, because I'm not going to read it.

(show spoiler)