Call me Gordon, Barbara Gordon.

— feeling happy
Batgirl, Vol. 1: The Darkest Reflection - Gail Simone, Ardian Syaf, Vincente Cifuentes

I'll admit. I'm a bit of a comic book noob. Nobody in my family that I was close to read them, my friends weren't really into comics and I was generally too involved in the world of video games to branch out into yet another nerdly channel.

I've always been intrigued though and I'm well versed on a lot of characters whether it's Marvel or DC or anything else in between. Getting into comics always seemed so intimidating though. Even knowing character back story, there is just so much there to wade through, so much to catch up on and I hate jumping into the middle of things. If I tried to go back and start at the beginning though, I'd quickly go broke. And honestly, ain't nobody got time for that back catalog.

So here I am. I keep seeing the amazing covers for Batgirl on Deviantart and I figured, hell, why not? I know enough to jump in and so I did. I bought the first two issues of Batgirl and decided to give it a shot.

I'm in love. <3

We step into the world of Barbara Gordon as she recovers from a brush with the Joker that left her without the use of her legs for several years. Having recovered physically, she once more becomes Batgirl and spends her nights beating up bad guys. But there is a new baddie in town that is about to make her life a little more complicated. Going by the name Mirror, this villain starts the show by shoving a water hose down a guys throat. Brutal.

There were a lot of things I loved about this first issue. First off, the artwork is gorgeous. Barbara Gordon also has a great personality. You can tell she really enjoys being back in the swing of things, that she truly enjoys taking out criminals. It almost makes her come off as cocky, but she also knows her limitations. I really like the fact that she has to deal with PTSD from the attack that left her paralyzed. She may be physically ready to fight crime, but dealing with the mental side of things lends itself to some interesting twists.

I'm pretty hooked now so I'll probably pick up a few more of these to keep me happy!

As for Tigana, I'm still reading it. I'm almost done. I don't know how I feel about it, but now that I'm over 400 pages in, there isn't any point in stopping. ;_;